The 19th IARU ARDF World Championships in Sokcho, Korea are now concluded and amateur radio athletes from around the globe are returning home. The closing ceremonies, as is tradition, featured traditional Korean folk dancing and music, a banquet, and farewell party. Athletes establish lifelong friendships that cross borders, languages, and ages.
Region 2 has its best results ever at this Championships. The team from ARRL took home a total of 10 medals, including a gold individual medal in the 144 MHz Classic for M50 (men ages 50 to 59). Athletes from both ARRL and RAC also had several Top Ten finishes.
The IARU Region 2 medal winners are:
* Vadim Afonkin KB1RLI – Gold – 144 MHz Classic M50
* Ruth Bromer WB4QZG – Bronze -Foxoring W60
* Ken Harker WM5R and Joe Burkhead – Bronze – Team 3.5 MHz Classic M40
* Vadim Afonkin KB1RLI, Nicolai Mejevoi, and Bill Wright WB6CMD – Bronze – Team 3.5 MHz Classic M50
* Vadim Afonkin KB1RLI, Nicolai Mejevoi, and Bill Wright WB6CMD – Bronze – Team 144 MHz Classic M50
The next IARU ARDF World Championships will be hosted in IARU Region 1 by the Savez Radio-Amatera Srbije (SRS) in Serbia in September, 2020.